Sunday, January 25, 2009

"Baby, you're a lost cause..."

(That quote is from a Beck song, for those of you who didn't know.)

So life is good, I can't deny... I have a job, good health, awesome friends, a kick-ass family... but I can't help feel that something is still missing. Well, I know what's missing: love! Of course.

I learned a valuable lesson this month, too: it's a bad idea to date active military guys; they leave!! They leave to South Korea, and you wonder if you'll ever see them again. Yuck. And then you kick yourself for getting involved in the first place, knowing there was already a pre-determined expiration date on the whole thing.

Anyway, other than my somewhat sucky love life, things are good. Teaching has its ups and downs, but it's pretty manageable for the time being. I'll be able to finish up the year, no prob. Hashing (my new hobby!) is fun and has afforded me many new local contacts! I've been spending more time with friends lately, and it's nice to be out of my (excessively messy) house (due mostly to messy roommates). I finished my first-ever half marathon last weekend (!!!), and it was a REALLY cool experience! I'd love to do it again!

Next year: no clue what I'll be doing... I've got an application into the Peace Corps, so we'll see what happens with that. My mom is ridiculously nervous about that whole thing, but you know what? It's a pretty incredible opportunity. I personally don't know anyone who's served, and I think it'd be amazing. I could combine my desires to help others and to travel internationally! Bada bing, bada boom! Pending the submission of a set of paperwork, I'll have an interview in L.A. in a few weeks... And I figure, what better time to do this than now? I'm not with anyone, I have no children, I'm extremely mobile... and I have the desire to better the world in drastic ways. What better conditions could possibly exist?

Anyway, I should be off to bed, but I had a few (coughMayacough) readers request an update. Does this help? Cheers!

2 comments:

Maya said...

lol. yay for an update! i have a couple of friends who have done peace corps, one of who is out now, so lemme know if you want their emails. they love talking about the experience!!!

also, babyz is coming the afternoon of feb. 2nd (1 week from today)!

Anonymous said...

OMG an update! No way! It's great to see you put thoughts down again :)

I've heard all sort of horror stories about the Peace Corps. Don't go! It's not that I'd miss you or anything, not at all :)
-Fandrew