Friday, October 24, 2008

What we're doing at school!

So I wrote a song for my math students... Here are the lyrics:

Order… of Ops! (Repeat 4x)

(hook)
Down, down, do your math, do your math (Repeat 4x)


Verse One:
They say I'm a teacher, and I say yeah
They say what you doing, tryin’ to do some crazy math?
I just let the order of operations go
So all my classes can pass the 6th grade, yo
They got some crazy math, you gotta move your pencil
Crazy math, it's called the triple-O
It don't matter if you're 11 or you’re12 (here we go)
We gone show you how it go

Chorus:
Parentheses, parentheses, parentheses, parentheses,
Exponents, exponents, exponents, exponents,
Now mult or div, now mult or div,
Now add or subtract, now add or subtract
(let me see you do)

(hook) + Chorus (2x)

Verse Two:
Now you see what I'm talking about
I represent for the Bulldogs, yo
Where we known for mathing out
I'm gonna show you what I'm talking about

(hook 2x) + Chorus (2x)

Verse Three:
And do the order of ops
Do the order of Ops
It's ya friend PEMDAS, PEM to the DAS

Crazy math on the track, got another hittin beat
(here we go, hey)

(hook)


I performed it for them last week, and they liked it! Another teacher suggested I perform it WITH students and put it on YouTube... So we did it! :)

The concept was to have a “boring” teacher explaining the order of operations to her class. Then, as in a daydream, the students start whispering, “order of ops.” Then students and teachers burst into song! After the song, class resumes as if nothing had ever happened.

Below is the video (fear not; every student in it has a signed permission slip saying they can be on YouTube and the internet's public domain). Without further ado, enjoy!! :)


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh. my. God.

YOU ROCK! Great job MB!!

Can I share that with my teachers?! And their classes!?!

-Fandrew

Maya said...

AWESOME! Mind if I put the link on my blog?

Marybeth said...

Well, shucks, guys... thanks! :)

Sure, go nuts... since this stuff is on YouTube, it's totally public access now. A few of the kids have already linked it to their Myspace... scary!

Anyway, enjoy!

unklefuzz said...

....U R AWESOME !!!!!

unklefuzz said...

....U R AWESOME !!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi. I am so impressed with your video. I have a question I was hoping you could help me with. I want to make a video with my class to this song, matching my curriculum, but I can't find how to get the background music without the Cupid Shuffle lyrics. How did you get that?

Marybeth said...

Thanks! For finding songs without lyrics, I used bit torrent (www.bittorrent.com)... When that was downloaded (I'm told it's legal), I searched for "Cupid Shuffle Instrumental." I had to download a few versions before I found the actual one, but it didn't take very long. Any time you're looking for a song without the lyrics, try adding "instrumental" or "karaoke" after the title. I hope this helps!

tomtiguy said...

Here's a link to stream the music.
http://www.jamglue.com/tracks/6231619-cupid-cupid-shuffle-instrumental-
I'm a pre-service teacher. Tonight I'm conducting a mock lesson and using the chorus of this song to teach the Order of Ops (to my adult classmates). I hope you don't mind. Thank you!

Marybeth said...

I'm happy to help! :) I don't mind this being public domain, as long as no one tries to claim it as their own. Yay for sharing fun ideas!

Anonymous said...

my teacher used this in fifth grade, we sung the whole thing and you can find it on her youtube channel. T Christman, she was one of my favorite teachers EVER, she was great. :) I'm in 8th grade now!