Saturday, September 13, 2008

What are the odds?

So what on paper looked like it would be a so-so day (full day of school, no prep time, softball, etc.) actually turned out well! My lessons yesterday were ok (I don't think I'll be a stellar teacher for another year or two), but I got goofier as the day went on, which always entertains the kids. We have a nice little back-and-forth thing where we hassle each other a bit, then get back to work.

At the end of my 5th hour class (which is usually hands-down the worst class of the day, but today was actually pretty decent), the science teacher came in to inform me that I was to sub for another teacher during my prep period. Luckily I didn't need to prep at that particular time, so it turned out OK.

Anyway, I subbed for an 8th grade social studies class, and it wasn't too painful. According to the kids, some of them were 15 and 16 (in *8th* grade!!!). It seems some of them had failed 8th grade a time or two. I got them to work independently for the start of class, then I let them work in groups afterward. At the end of class, I had an "off-the-record" discussion with them about the Latino drop-out rate for high school. (Latinos lead the nation, far ahead of any other race.) I implored them to graduate high school or at least get their GED to make their lives better. We'll see... but I will say that I was happy to see my little 6th graders for my final class of the day. Much nicer! :)

Finally, both games of softball were actually fun! In the second game, it was the bottom of the last inning, 2 outs, we were down by just a few runs, and I was up to bat. ("Oh, boy," I thought, "I'll probably be the third out.") There was another game previously where I had been the third out and the game ended. (Gotta love inductive reasoning.) So I stepped up to the plate, a little shaky. My prior strategy last night was to not swing at any pitches, putting all the pressure on the pitcher. That got me on base both times I was up at bat. This time, I swung at one and missed. Then before I knew it, it was full count, one runner on base. Eesh! I swung with my all... and hit it!! Woo hoo! Fortunately, the shortstop missed and I got on base and advanced the runner ahead of me. That was enough to keep the game going! It actually felt pretty cool; there was hope yet for our team! In the end, though, we lost 10-9. So close! In that game, I'd scored 2 runs, so I was pretty proud of myself. Next, I try to tackle fielding- who would've thought grounders would be so hard to catch!?

Okee... for now, I'm off to lesson plan and spend the day with my man. Cheers! :)

1 comment:

Maya said...

I was just discussing drop out rates of minority students yesterday while canning peaches with some ladies from church! You should start having that college discussion with your 6th graders :-) The college conversation really needs to start in middle school by the latest, to give kids time to prepare. By the time they are in HS many of the are behind and close to dropping out, so it's much more difficult to convince them that college is an attainable, worthwhile goal.

My mother found when she was teaching that in 6th grade, kids from all walks of life have the same desires for a career, but these low-income minority students have no idea how to become a doctor, a teacher, what have you. Many times their parents do not know, and so it becomes imperative that teachers, guidance counselors, leaders in rec centers, etc. take an interest in these kids and push them to have and maintain college as a goal. They need to know what it takes academically to get there as well as what the process is (applications, SAT, etc.).

[Steps off soap box] I guess I am particularly passionate about this because my mother was one of those immigrant latino students. Someone took a continued interest in her and pushed her to apply to NYU for college, helped her navigate the process. Today she's a college grad with 2 Masters and starting her PhD. But, Mom made us see how easily she could have gone down a different path and I definitely would not be where I am today had that happened.

[Really steps off soap box now. :-)]